Sunday, May 15, 2011

Handmade Modern Succulent Planter Tutorial

Succulents are really the perfect plants to have; especially in an office environment. They are very charming and very low maintenance. Succulent plants only need water every three to 10 weeks, depending on the temperature and lighting.


I wanted to make something special for my husband's new office this weekend. I decided to try making a planter after reading the blog post from Craftberry Bush featuring her homemade tiered terrarium. Initially I was going to make it a tiered planter more similar to hers; but, I ended up with something different with the sizes of ceramic bowls I could able to find after visiting 4 stores around my neighborhood.

    I picked a deep, round white baking bowl from the kitchen department and a toothbrush holder from the bathroom department for this project. I glued the toothbrush holder; which is tall and deep in the middle of the round bow with epoxy glue.


I added a layer of gravel, sand, and wet cactus soil in order. I didn't spend much time to think about the design; I just went to my garden and picked out some of the succulents I already had, pulled out some moss - which is easy to find in rainy Seattle and found some rocks; then, did some trial and error by placing the plants randomly on the bowl. I just kept stuffing moss, rocks, plants until it looked pretty.

My first version didn't have the tall plant at the top of the bowl. I thought I needed something taller to advance the look; so, I picked this red sensation-dracaena from a store.




I am really happy with the outcome and my husband really liked it. It was a fun weekend projectHappy Gardening season to all of you!

I hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mel....the planter turned out amazing....I love that you made it your own...thank so much for letting me know that you made it so I could come and check it out....keep in touch...xo
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a bunch Jacquie! The other day, my husband sent a picture of the planter from his office and told me that it grew!
    Both of us were really excited :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is great! that's totally what i'm working on outside as well, i love those types of plants!! i have so many inside! succulents are my go to plant too! everyone should have some!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...