Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Momma Bird Nest Pin Photography: BEFORE and AFTER

For the first time, I have joined a meet-up group get-together yesterday: etsyRAIN Team! They were all very nice, enthusiastic and talented Etsy ladies; some with well established Etsy stores and some with new stores-like my Cup of Sparkle. I truly enjoyed my time and learned from them.

It is not the first time that I started thinking I need better photographs for my jewelry shop; but, I think now I have a better idea how to do it (kind of) and where to start. I discovered a new blog of one of the etsyRAIN team leaders, Marlo M. Her blog is about small object photography which is exactly what I need. She has great tips about lighting and composition in her blog. She teaches photography as well.
If you are interested, her blog website is: http://smallobjectphotography.com/

Marlo has some before and after pictures of arts, mostly jewelry on her blog. I wanted to share one before and after photography for my bird nest brooch pin with you.



What do you think? I would like to hear your honest opinions. I have not used any of these pictures on my Etsy shop for this brooch yet. I think I have a lot of room to improve here.
If you are interested, click below for the brooch in my online store:
Bird Nest Brooch Pin with Freshwater White Pearls

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks so much for mentioning my blog! I'd love to offer a bit of advice if that's okay? Try taking your pin and photographing it very close but at an angle -- so that the final result looks like your "after" photo, but with your pin only. I think that would look really amazing. Hope that made sense? Beautiful work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marlo: the angle!!!

    I like the idea of the real bird nest as a setting, but I got confused about perspective (the prop is over sized for the brooch) and wondered about the size of the object as a result. I went to the listing (thanks for providing that link) and I found the photo of the brooch on the t-neck to be really helpful.

    My overall suggestion:
    - Get an arty shot. Try the angle that Marlo is suggesting. See if the bird nest prop still works. Try another prop (pile of grass? Leaves?)
    - Use that arty shot as the first one in the listing.
    - Keep the t-neck photo in the listing.
    - Add photos to demonstrate the other color options OR (maybe better yet) use the other color options as a separate listing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to hear your feedback Jenna and Marlo. I tried to take pictures with different angles and while taking pictures in my kitchen, I thought of corn I had at home to use as a new prob. Instead of a white background, a crop in yellow color attracted me more. I would love to hear your comments on my new pictures I downloaded on Etsy. Here are the links for white and red pearl bird nest brooches:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/63051730/bird-nest-brooch-pin-with-freshwater
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/64185670/bird-nest-brooch-pin-with-freshwater-red

    I kept the picture with the t-neck Jenna as well...

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the corn photo! Wow, poster worthy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...